From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Katharine
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 8:16 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] 2 for 1 deal to Boston - Sao Miguel -
November - SATA

Marilyn, it may still be too soon to find deeply discounted airfares online
between the west and Boston -- assuming that you, like me, are willing to
accept restrictions in order to get the lowest possible price.

In general, the US airlines list their cheapest fares about 5-6 WEEKS BEFORE
departure date.  However, I like to start "stalking" airfares about 10 weeks
before departure date so I have some notion of the market, although I know
that usually the price I'm willing to pay isn't available for about another
month.  (I check  Expedia, but there are other similar aggregator sites, as
well as a few airlines that aren't listed on any of them, e.g., Southwest).

In off-season (ca. October-April), SATA typically flies only between Boston
and Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, and only on Tuesdays and Fridays (except for
a smattering of extra flights around various major holidays), with Tuesday
fares generally a bit lower.  However, domestic US fares to/from Boston tend
to be significantly lower on Tuesdays than Fridays, so substantial savings
on those might help you decide, if your schedule permits.

One smart move SATA has made lately is to schedule their return flight from
PDL to BOS for a few hours earlier than it used to, so that it's due to
arrive in late afternoon, allowing sufficient time for connecting passengers
to clear Customs, then make the next flight (previously, their flights
arrived so late that a continuing passenger had to spend the night in
Boston, and hotels there are pricey).

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.  Katharine.

http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right