The key to research in the Azorean Islands is to learn FIRST which village
your ancestors came from. This can be a frustrating task ... but a near
100%  requirement. There are exceptions but they are few.

As Cheri Mello advised, research ALL available records in USA first. This
would include every church record that you can locate (including cemetery
records), look at every census record (state and federal), locate all civil
records (birth marriage & death). Look for local probate records, property
records, legal records. Exhaust all potential sources in USA that might hint
at  locale of origin or family connections that might offer alternative
avenues for  research.

A note on an exception: if you know two items: exact date of death on an
island AND the island .. there is a chance that you can write to the specific
 Portuguese archive for that island and they may locate the village. That
is the  only Portuguese alternative that I have used with success. There are
currently  no central databases ... all exist "by village"

The passenger lists are another useful way to see if you can find a village
 of origin ... but these are US records.

Best of luck,
Al

In a message dated 7/1/2012 3:42:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,