Hi Elaine,

I just verified with FTDNA...that 2nd column will display how far out they
have tested, not what was ordered.  So your new match has the first 12
markers in, but you think they ordered 37.  The 2nd column will say Y-DNA
12 because their test is in progress.  When the 25 comes in, the 2nd column
will say Y-DNA 25. And so forth.

DYS392:  That means *D*NA *Y* *S*egment 392.  The geneticists name the
markers.  Mostly with numbers.  A few have goofy names (Y-GATA-H4, for
example).  DYS392 is a slow moving marker.  That's very good to have a
mutation there when you have a fairly common name.  A slow moving marker is
where the geneticists DO NOT expect to see a mutation. A fast moving marker
is where they DO expect to see a mutation.  And mutations in DNA are a good
thing (as we are dealing with junk DNA). It allows us to tease the family
branches apart.

Let's pretend that this is one subgroup in the McNeal project:
13-23-14-11-11-14-12-12-12-13-14-29
And this is your hubby and his cohorts:
13-23-14-11-11-14-12-12-12-13-15-29

As genealogists, we don't care that the first marker is called DYS393 and
the next one is DYS390.  We just want to compare the numbers.  They all
match, except where I've highlighted it.

If the main group has the top string of numbers with the 14 in it and yours
is the bottom string with the 15 in it, there's been a mutation at that
position.  An ancestor in your tree accidentally made 15 copies of that
marker instead of 14.  Just like making copies at an office store -
sometimes the machine might spit out an extra piece of paper or might short
you one sheet.

As more and more men test, you can figure out the ancestor who gave off the
15.  The founder of FTDNA, Bennett Greenspan, tells this story when he does
DNA speeches: When he founded the company, he tested a few relatives.  He
tested both his brothers.  They had the same string of numbers. Then he
tested his son.  His son had one number different.  So Bennett tested
himself.  He also had the one number different.  Therefore, Bennett was the
"mutant" and passed an extra copy down. So anyone for practically all
eternity who is a Greenspan at that particular mutation will be able to say
that they descend from Bennett.

It's really nice to see the science of DNA back the circumstantial evidence
of our paper trails.  I went around and around (before Ancestry.com or DNA
- so I was spinning those microfilm reels around and around) with my
paternal grandmother's line.  I had a lot of circumstantial evidence, but
no definite proof, so I didn't want to research the line further back until
I was sure.  A cousin tested and DNA proved that the circumstantial
evidence was correct.  DNA also has the ability to disprove things too.  A
man at my genealogy society was brickwalled on his John White ancestor.
Had been stuck there for years.  He tested his DNA and did not match a
single White. He was matching Christensens.  He really thought FTDNA messed
up.  He came to several of our DNA meetings trying to understand all this
stuff.  It took a while for him to get over the shock, but when he did, he
went back to that county where his ancestors were and started looking at
women with the surname of White that were living very close to Christensens
and he found them.

Cheri Mello
Family Tree DNA Admin
Azores DNA Project