Daniel S,

I believe the closest that they have to a census is the Confession
Rolls that were done by the Catholic Church.  They have a few online
at the CCA website.

http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/

Click on Parish Registers, then change the radio button to Rois/
Confessados.  I'm only seeing ones for the council of Angra on
Terceira.