Thanks for the reply JS Lopes, Cheri and Eric.

It seems that twice in my father's line men have taken mothers maiden names
over fathers last names.  Through my research my paternal last name has
changed from Martins (currently) to Dias and now to De Barcellos.
Was taking on your mothers Maiden name instead of your fathers last name a
common thing back then?

Thnxs.
A.