Hi Pam,
Hard to say who the first actually was... Medeiros is a very common
name and the only people that ever get recorded are nobility. Rui Vaz
de Medeiros may have been the earliest recorded Medeiros to arrive in
S. Miguel. He was born in Ponte de Lima, Portugal, and married in
Madeira. Rodrigo Rodrigues refers to Gaspar Frutuoso's account of him
as being one of the earliest settlers in S. Miguel. He arrived along
with his wife, Anna Goncalves de Mendonca, circa 1474, and, Rui
Goncalves da Camara, third Captain Donatary of S. Miguel. He lived at
first next to the Convent of Nossa Senhora da Esperanca, and moved to
Ponta Garca after the death of his wife. I list him as my 12th GGF.
The Medeiros line dates back at least to 1200, in north central
Portugal, where there actually is a place named Medeiros.