Great idea, Mary.

My father is the one with mtDNA from the Azores and we have the H haplogroup, like you.
We don't have any matches at any level.

Not knowing how to read it any better, I am pasting this and hope it applies to the results from our test:

HVR1 DIFFERENCES FROM RSRS
  • A16129G
  • T16187C
  • C16189T
  • T16223C
  • G16230A
  • T16278C
  • T16298C
  • C16311T
  • C16320T

I see there is a similar number to your evolved number.

Our maternal line goes back through Pico to one Leonor Toste, born about 1547. Toste is relatively rare on Pico and I believe she was more likely born in Terceira, where Toste is rather common.

So if anyone can tell me more about my H haplogroup from the above numbers, I'd sure appreciate it. It seems HVR1 is what I have, but I don't know a longer or more exact description.

Looking at the migration map for each letter of the haplogroups, I see H is listed as 30,000 years old and coming from Europe.
In a previous email, I mentioned we have an ancestor from Chile and two possible candidates who could be tested to show that line. I would expect to have a result of maybe A, B, C or D haplogroups, because those are the letters of the native Indian populations for the western hemisphere. They are 30, 50, 20 and 25,000 years old.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico Genealogist
916-550-1618