Hi, Cheri

Thanks again for the info. It is encouraging that Faial has a smaller
number of villages to search in.

The information that I have on my great+ grandfather is:

Name: Jose Emanuel DaSilva
DOB: 1833 as recorded on his grave marker.
Place of Birth: Faial, Azores
DOD: 5/14/1914
Place of death: Sag Harbor, NY

He was aboard a vessel (most likely a whaling ship) when it ran aground off
of Wainscot, Long Island. He was around 15 years old so I am guessing this
was around 1848. I am currently researching wrecks off the coast of Long
Island at this time for the vessel name, type, etc.

He swam ashore and was rescued by a local family (Topping) whom he worked
for until he learned enough English and set out on his own.

He married Catherine McLane sometime between 1860 and 1865. Together they
had 7 children. Sometime between 1880 and 1900 the last name of (then)
Silva, was changed to Silvey, which it remains today. The "Da" was dropped
somewhere along the line between the time he arrived and his marriage. This
fact and that of his wife's maiden name having several different spellings
is proving quite challenging to say the least. But little by little each
day I get closer to completing the tree.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Robert