I would suggest a Mac for two reasons: 
1) the computer, while more expensive, is a better quality product than most 
other PC's.  I've had Toshibas, HPs and Dells and had many problems with them.  
I've had no problems with my MacBookPro in the 3 years I've had it and recently 
received a new one for Christmas only because I needed more power and storage 
space for work.  It's worth getting the Apple Care extended warranty for it as 
well so that the hardware is covered for 3 years. 
2) You can run Windows 7 on a Mac by installing a program called Parallels - it 
allows you to work in the Windows operating system and run all your favorite 
Windows programs, including FTM 16.  I run PAF and a few other Windows-only 
programs this way and have no problems whatsoever.

Just my two cents - good luck!
Joanne Mercier (still needing to load my signatures onto the new computer!)


On Jan 7, 2013, at 10:04 PM, E Sharp <[email protected]> wrote:

> My son has patched up my Toshiba for me for the time being but I have to buy 
> a new laptop and I would like some feedback to my personal email address 
> please. 
>  
> I am not sure if I should buy an Apple product or Windows product and I am 
> leaning towards staying with Microsoft i.e. Windows 8 as I cannot find one 
> with Windows 7 anymore.  I would like to know how I would transfer my window 
> genealogy FTM 16 to a Mac if I purchased a Mac and installed Mac FTM?   I 
> think I will probably have to update my FTM which I really do not want to do 
> but I don't think I will have a choice here although I still have the 
> software for it. 
>  
> I'm really not too sure which way to go but I want the easiest transition I 
> can find.  And if I have not worded the above correctly it's because I am not 
> very computer literate.
>  
> Would appreciate your input.
> 
> -- 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when 
> they arrive.
> For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to