Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Sad Computer Story
From: robertjm <rober...@hockeyhockeyhockey.com>
Date: Thu, January 10, 2013 10:21 am
To: azores@googlegroups.com

That's certainly an option, and I've even got several of those laying around myself. However, not to sound snarky, but that does you little good if your house burns down, is broken into or the drive goes bad. I've had the latter happen on an external drive and even if it's under warranty, the manufacturer won't try and recover your data for you, which could be an expensive proposition.

Things like research and program data backups are fairly small, being text. You can backup quite a bit within 2Gb, not to mention some of those companies will run specials on backup. I've been able to parlay freebies up to about 8gb on Dropbox by allowing them to automate a backup of digital photos taken on my smartphone to my folder on their servers. Once those pics are there I can even delete them, yet I get to keep the extra space. Win-win IMHO. You DON'T backup things like the operating system or program files. You just chalk those up to sweat equity if you have to restore a computer because you if you have a new computer, you're probably going to have a different configuration anyways.

You could maintain several external drives and then rotate them out of a safety deposit box somewhere. A little extreme? For most of us probably. However, I shutter to think of the catastrophe of losing a lifetime's research like Doug Holmes or Rosemary Capodicci might have (to name just a coupe off the top of my head). Decent sized flash drives can be had for around $30, or less, these days,and are small enough to fit on a key ring, so they'd certainly fit in the smallest of safety deposit boxes.

At the very least, print out your Family Group Sheets for your entire program in pdf format, and store that in the cloud somewhere. You'd have to key it all in, but at least you have it all to look at!

Robert