Picoenses = people from Pico

I was doing research today in Rosário, Lagoa, São Miguel Island, on the Costa Venáncio family and while researching baptisms I was rewarded with the nice find of a person from Piedade, Pico Island.

There was another from São Pedro, Angra, Terceira Island in those records.

These are little pieces to the massive puzzle I keep working on and so I am always pleased to find them.

It reminds me of how often people moved around between islands.
It would not surprise me to find just about any family in anyone's family tree to find one or more had moved away to another island. It is a sure bet to find them in the larger locations like Ponta Delgada, Horta and Angra.

Sometimes I enjoy picking any village and search through the death records from 1911 and earlier to find more people who were born in Pico or Terceira.

This Costa Venáncio family had moved to the island of São Jorge, and descendants now live in the USA. Will I find they had moved from the continent before living in São Miguel? Who knows....

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618