Greetings Group, I thought some of you might find this interesting. Emanuel
Joseph Perry is a first generation Azorean American born in New Bedford in
1887. He was the son of Jose Pereira Mancebo, from Beira, Sao Jorge and Rosa
Luisa from Pico. They were married in 1866. He was the 9th child of this couple
who had 11 children...all girls except for the 1st, Frank, who died at birth. I
know he had other aunts and uncles in this country....because when Jose came to
New Bedford in 1865 it was because of knowing he had aunts and uncles in the
area.....Jose was also from a very large family in Beira. I've yet to find any
connections to my Perry family but I know they're out there with the numbers of
offspring from just these 2 generations. Emanuel became a prolific
inventor....dry cleaning machine, commercial washer and many others. We just
found a complete list of his patents and realized he had many more inventions
than we ever knew about. If interested the complete list may be found at:
http://www.archpatent.com/patents/1636069 this takes you to his invention for
sliding locks and if you click on his name you will see his other
patents......a brilliant 1st generation Azorean American whose father came over
on a whaling ship, jumped ship and made his living all his life in New Bedford
as a cigar maker....a skill he picked up when the ship had an extended stay in
Brazil. Rosa Luisa was a "sent for" bride.....the sister of a friend of Jose's.
The most remarkable thing was that Jose's life as a cabin boy from a very young
age, kept him quite small...family lore is that he was about 4'11"
tall.....when Rosa arrived she was an unusually tall Azorean woman....he
refused to marry her because of their size difference...he was told he had no
choice....money had been paid and she was there. So they married and had 11
children...truly, size doesn't matter! I've never been able to find Rosa Luisa
in the records in Pico....she's remembered in family lore about speaking of
Madelena....her sister was Maria Luisa....we think their last name was Gracia.
Someday I'll find her.....but I'm very proud of the accomplishments of my
grandfather, Emanuel....his life story reads like a novel.....he lived to be 94
years old.....he loved to eat dates and smoke White Owl Cigars! Nancy Jean