*Good point Rick, I have a British Airways Visa Card issued by Chase Bank.
The last time I got a new card, they made the point that it has a chip and
that it is compatible with European ATM's. I haven't done any European
travel since receiving it so I can't comment  on how it works in actual use
there. On the back there is this statement: "Your card is issued and
serviced by Chase Bank USA, NA.

Out of curiosity, I just called customer service to find out what
transaction fees might apply. For credit transactions there are no fees.
For cash advances, there is a 5% transaction fee with a $10 minimum.

In previous travel to Portugal, I used my credit union ATM card and don't
recall paying any significant charges, but as I said it's been a few years.
John Vasconcelos.*