Rumor was right.  This notification was sent out to Project Administrators
from Family Tree DNA (FTDNA):

<<Due to the recent upgrade of our state-of-the-art laboratory, coupled
with research and development into increasing lab efficiency, we are able
to permanently offer the basic Y-DNA12 test for $49 beginning April 1,
2013. The current sale of Y12 at $39 will end at 11:59PM CDT, March
31,2013. We are also working on bringing down the price of the basic mtDNA
test as well; we hope to have that accomplished during the first half of
this year.>>

Cheri Mello
FTDNA Admin