Pam,

I would recommend to include in your search the civil registries of
Sao Miguel, if available, because their legal form is more detailed
than the church's unless their "last name" were Bicho they would not
have registered it.

Bicho could also be a corruption of a foregin surname not just a nick
"alcunha".  It's origin may have been Italy.

Margaret

On 3/28/13, Pam Santos <pamsanto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It may have originally been Luiz for middle name but (It was never used in
> earlier records nor in hawaii) in Hawaii  he used Louis then his kids used
> Louis as a surname. so far no Luiz surnames
>
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Dano <dpai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a normal order for surnames although it doesn't seem to be
>> adhered to that religiously in all cases. The variables occur when (1)
>> there are too many persons with the same name in a particular "freguesia"
>> -
>> that's when the "alcunha" is usually unceremoniously applied to the least
>> of our brethren - as you've already discussed;
>>
>> Of course, oftentimes people just dropped extra surnames as generations
>> progressed - they were just known by the most prominent surname;
>>
>> As for other reasons for name selection: people of that era were driven
>> essentially by the same things that people of this era are driven -
>> power,
>> wealth, and property. So, you might see an individual who knows that a
>> relative of an earlier generation had one of these things, would position
>> himself so that he could claim descendency from that individual, and
>> thereby access the "good life," by tapping into that power, title or
>> property.
>>
>> In the case of your ancestor, it seems that it might just have been more
>> matter of convenience than anything else. BTW, its not a good practice to
>> anglicize names - are you sure of the spelling of "Louis?" If the name
>> was,
>> in fact, "Luiz (Luis)," and it was a surname, it might be a tipoff to the
>> name of another branch of the family.

>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the
>> membership."
>> ---