For those who joined this list in the last couple of days, here's a brief
rundown (I hope).

There are a few different companies for DNA testing.  For various reasons,
Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) was chosen.  FTDNA allows for administrators (all
volunteers) to create projects and monitor them and help out members.  A
project was created for Portugal, the Azores, Madeira, Cape Verde, and
Brazil (spelled as Brasil). To encourage people to join projects, FTDNA has
a slight discount when a DNA test is ordered through a project.

Here's a brief run down on the 3 types of testing that are used in
genealogy.

Y-DNA:  Isolates one line: The father's father's father's line, all the way
back.  All men. A male must take this test, as only men have a Y
chromosome.  The top of a man's pedigree chart.  If a 37 or 67 markers test
is ordered, you have the potential to make genealogical matches. If you are
not a male, you will have to find a male relative to take this test.

mtDNA: Isolates one line: The mother's mother's mother's line, all the way
back.  All women.  Either men or women can take this type of test. The
bottom of the pedigree chart.  Most information obtained from mtDNA is
anthropological in nature. It's hard to get a genealogy match unless you
happen to have a rare mutation.

Autosomal DNA (Family Finder):  Covers ALL your lines on your pedigree
going back about 200 years from your birth.  So if you were born in the
1940s, this could find relatives who descend from a couple born in the
1740s. You need to have a pretty good pedigree without too many unknowns
(like a Sarah Elizabeth ____, Mary Margaret ____, etc).  My dad is half
Portuguese and I have more success with his Family Finder than I do with my
mom's.  My mom's lines have a lot of Sarah Elizabeth ____ and Mary Margaret
____ as well as a lot of lines stopping in the early 1800s, so it's harder
for me to connect her with others, but I keep chipping away.  It's takes
more time on hers.  I can figure out my dad's a little more easily as he's
half Portuguese and his lines are pretty well documented back to the 1730s.

Cheri Mello
Family Tree DNA Administrator
Azores DNA Project