Rod-My tree is on ancestry.com.  I have noticed some others with a person from
my family with children who are not affiliated with anyone in my tree.  (I
write and mention that they should look at my tree for the correct "kids".)  I
have also seen matches for my tree with the children born before the parents!
(I point this out to them.)  But...I do find a lot of "good stuff" out there
especially with the more expensive membership fee.  (My cousin and I split the
cost.)
- Shirl -

Hi Rod,

I never post my family tree online, but not for the usual privacy reason. It's
because my genealogy is so extensive that it conflicts with the fact I do this
professionally. I know other professionals who never post a single thing about
their own families, probably for the same reason.

For most people, posting online is a good idea, but there was some recent
discussion about how people take info from what you post and use it in ways
that are sometimes crazy - like when they are not even related. Then they mix
up people and have sons attached to the grandfather, or other such nonsense.

I don't know if Ancestry.com is the best place. I know it's one place with some
valuable tools for you. But you might have to be a member. And there is the LDS
genealogy website for this same purpose.

Others have their own websites and with Google searches, it's practically the
same as posting on the big websites. If you don't have a website and would like
to find a way to somehow fit this goal into how I present things on mine,
you're welcome to do it through me. There are things like my Ancestral Photo
Gallery where you could post some of the great pictures you mention and then
have a link to the genealogies of these people. I'm sure that would generate
interest and possible leads to viewers looking to find distant relations. You
could also post yourself as a genealogist for Velas, for instance, on my
Portuguese Genealogist Master List and again link the names to a face and to a
genealogy.

One thing to remember, whatever you post online will forever be out of your
control. People can take the info and do whatever they want with it. That's the
reason people often want to stay private, but it does go against the idea of
finding relatives. So it's something you have to balance in your own mind.

I did look to see if the names you mentioned are already people I found and I
came up empty. But I imagine with an extra generation, the chances go way up,
since as you noticed, these names are popular on Sao Jorge. I found some with
the same exact name, but from another generation or even another century.

There are some on this list who are probably the greatest authorities with
regards the families of certain select villages on Sao Jorge. Marcio de Borba
comes to mind for Calheta, for instance. Maybe also for Ribeira Seca. I have
done extensive research of the Ribeira Seca families in the 1700s, so I'll
surely recognize your families once you get that far.

There is a lady named Susan Edvalson who lives outside of the Sacramento,
California area who has been compiling a comprehensive database of all from
Ribeira Seca and I think also Norte Grande or maybe it's Calheta. She might not
be on this list, but I have been in recent touch with her so I can put you two
together, if you like.

Good luck,

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California