Love to know the answer to that question also.

From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
p...@dholmes.com
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:25 PM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Chromosome Browser for Family Finder DNA
results

I was just looking again at the Chromosome Browser for Family Finder and
picked someone I believe is on this list - Vivian Christy.

For my father, there are 11 shared segments between us. Some are slivers
only maybe 2 or 3 cM wide. And if it weren't for the fact there is at least
one larger than 7 cM wide, she wouldn't even show as a match.

So we know that the larger the block, the closer the relative. So here's my
question:

Is there any reason to think that each of these 11 shared segments isn't
representing 11 separate ancestors between us? The narrow ones might be
common ancestors from 800 years ago, while the largest one might be 400
years ago.

In other words, I think each separate segment is a separate ancestor. Can
anyone explain why not? Am I right?

For the benefit of anyone unable to follow this conversation with their own
Family Finder kit, I am pasting in this graphic. Each of the orange bars is
a segment marking where we match. I hope it shows up:

Obrigado.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist