Rick,

There were women on the ship also.  I am not sure if they all sneaked onto
the ship in Faial under darkness also and avoided getting a Passportes
there or what.  The reason they came under darkness in the US is because
the ship's owners had to pay so much tax or whatever they called it upon
landing per person over the age of either 16 or 18 and I guess they did not
want to pay it.

"E"