From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Richard Francis Pimentel
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 4:34 PM
To: Azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Family Finder Test $99 - Why should I test?

Hi All,

Several years ago I had my dad's DNA tested. We tested his Mt-DNA and later
on we did a Family Finder. Both my dad's parents were 100% Azorean from Sao
Miguel. His mother had ties in Ponta Delgada and Bretanha and his father was
from Ribeira Grande.

When I got the results back there were a number of matches. It was then I
realized that most likely the people that were from the Ponta Delgada Area
were most likely related to my grandmother and the people that were from the
Ribeira Grande area were most likely related to my grandfather. And the
matches that were from an unknown area could be related to either
grandparent.

I then realized that there was a way to sort out the two sides of the family
by doing another family finder test. What I needed to do was test one of my
dad's 1st cousins. This was a big challenge. As my dad is 93 and most of his
cousins are now gone. One of his cousins I ruled out because both his
parents were related to my dad's parents. (Brother & Sister marrying Sister
and Brother). Two other living 1st cousins  were also 100% Azorean from Sao
Miguel so there was a clear chance that there could be some crossover DNA.
On my last trip to New England I attended a funeral of one of my Dads
Cousins and with a sense of purpose I talked with his youngest 1st Cousin
about DNA Testing. This cousin was the perfect candidate for testing as her
father was my dad's Uncle (100% Azorean from Ribeira Grande Area) and her
mother was 100% French Canadian so there was no chance of crossover of the
two sides. I ordered a Family Finder test for her and it is now at the lab
being processed.

When I get the results back I will be able to sort the matches.

All matches that are on both Family Finder tests (my Dads and his 1st
Cousin) are from my Grandfathers family in Ribeira Grande.

All matches that are on my Dads Family Finder test that are not on his 1st
Cousins are from my Grandmothers family in Bretanha & Ponta Delgada.

All matches that are not on my dad's that are on his 1st Cousins are from
his 1st Cousins French Canadian Side of her family.

Being able to split the two sides of the family will make it easier
searching for the common ancestor in matches as I now cut the search area in
half. This will be helpful to someone that does not know the village of has
a parent unknown.

The price of the Family Finder Test on sale makes getting a cousin to test a
lot more easier.

If you have NEVER ordered a DNA test before, order through the Azores DNA
project here: http://goo.gl/TyStn

If you HAVE ordered before and are adding on a different type of test, log
into your DNA page and order from the "Order an Upgrade" (orange button in
the upper right corner).  And make sure you are in the Azores DNA project
(look at your "home" page when signed in...left column will tell you if you
are in the Azores DNA project).

The admins CAN NOT help you if you are not in the Azores DNA project.  We
can't see your page.  We can't plead on your behalf.  We can't upload your
Gedcom. We can't map you.

Please, please, please make sure you are in the project!

And for those of you with pedigrees stretching back about 200 years on most
of your lines and don't think you need DNA testing....Please consider
testing.  Many of you look up stuff in your genealogy programs and help
others on this list with the paper trail.  You can help scientifically by
testing your DNA as some of you can pinpoint where the matches are
occurring.  Those whose paper trails don't go back very far can be helped by
the process of elimination.

Rick

Family Tree DNA Co-Administrator
Azores DNA Project

Azores DNA Project Co-Administrators

All unpaid volunteers

Cherri Mello -  <mailto:gfsche...@gmail.com> gfsche...@gmail.com

Rick Pimentel -  <mailto:rickredle...@gmail.com> rickredle...@gmail.com

Nancy Jean Baptista -  <mailto:fishsongf...@hotmail.com>
fishsongf...@hotmail.com

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right