I am looking for any information on my grandfather John Dutra.  He died in
when my mother was just 7 years old so there has been no connection with
his family.  According to his death record on familysearch.org his was born
15 Aug 1905 in "other country" and died 9 Oct 1940 in Orange County, CA and
his mother's name is listed as "Dejesus".  I know he immigrated prior to
1931 when my grandmother returned to the USA from Terceira to marry him.
He married my grandmother, Mary Demello in California in 1931 or early
1932.  My grandmother was born in Cambridge, MA in 1910 to Ventura Pacheco
Demello and Felicidade Teixeira.  In 1914 her family moved back to the
Azores (Rabo de Peixe, Sao Miguel), then returned to Cambridge in 1916,
only to return to the Azores again around 1922 where they settled in
Feteira, Terceira.  I am told that my grandmother's marriage was arranged
between her parents and the parents of my grandfather who were neighbors in
Feteira so this may be a clue as to where my grandfather immigrated from if
he lived with his parents in Feteira.  I am also told however by my
grandmother's family that John Dutra's parents may not have been originally
from Terceira.

I know by birth records that my grandparents lived in Oakland when their
first four children were born: Florence (1932), Mary Ann (1934), John
(1935) Joseph (1937).  They moved to Orange County and appear on the 1940
censuses on Walnut St in Seal Beach (name mispelled as "Dutro") with my
grandmother's brother Manuel also listed in the household.  The birth of
their fifth child, Victor, is recorded in Orange County in May 1940, then
my grandfather died in October 1940 and my grandmother with her brother and
her five children moved back to Oakland.

The only promising hit I have found is in the 1930 census a John Dutra that
was single and born in 1905 is listed in the household of his
brother-in-law, Manuel Fernandez and his wife Anna in Castoria, CA If this
is the right John Dutra my grandfather would have immigrated around 1917
and had a sister named Anna.  My mother has told me that as a child she
visited a family farm in Manteca (formerly known as Castoria).

Bill