My great grandparents, Ventura Pacheco De Mello (Born 13 March 1885, Rabo
de Peixe) and Felicidade Teixeira (born 24 Aug 1877, Sao Jose, Ponta
Delgada) married in 1905 in Cambridge, Ma.  I know them to have had three
children. My grandmother, Mary (born 12 Apr 1910, Cambridge), Manuel (born
1913, Cambridge, and Joseph (born 1918, Cambridge).  I can also see an
unnamed mello child as dying in Cambridge in 1906 with them listed as
parents.  I know they lived in the Azores from 1914 to 1916 because they
applied for emergency U.S. passports for their two American-born children
(Mary and Manuel) in 1916 at the consulate in Ponta Delgada which say they
last left the U.S. in 1914.  They returned to Cambridge on 3 Feb 1916 on
the Cretic.  What puzzles me is the manifest shows them with three
children--Mary, Manuel, and an 11-month old boy named Jose.  The Ponta
Delgada Passaporte lists also shows this child.  My grandmother's younger
brother Joseph's birth is listed as 17 Jan 1918 on his death record from
Los Angeles in 1972 (I can't find his Massachusetts birth record) so he
would not have been born yet.  So who is this child that traveled in 1916?

I consider most likely that this child died on or shortly after this voyage
and my great grandparents gave their next child the same name.  But if this
is the case I can't find the death record in Massachusetts.  I also
considered that this child is my mother's Uncle Joe and his birth record
was somehow falisfied to show that he is U.S. born, but that seems
unlikely.  I also considered that the child was not their child but someone
they were protecting.  This came to mind because the next person listed on
the passenger manifest is Maria Maiato, a single 18-year-old woman who
appears to be my great grandfather's niece.  My great grandfather is listed
as going to his brother Francisco P. Mello in Cambridge while Maria Maiato
is listed as going to her uncle Francisco P. Mello in Cambridge.  Maiato is
the maiden name of my great-great grandmother.

Any suggestions?

Bill