Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Melo Family (deMello, Mello)
From: jeffreytoo...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, July 09, 2013 12:20 pm
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Lionel Rocha Holmes:

I am Jeffrey Tooker.  I am grandson to Manual Mello, "MANUEL MELLO (Manuel Antonio d'Areia Mello)" d. Sacramento 1958, and of the "http://www.portugueseancestry.com/genresources/pioneers_mn.cfm" site.  I have sent a check to the webmaster for membership and am awaiting his reply.

In reading the "Pioneers" I have come across "Jose Leal de Roza".  This is of great interest, because acording to my mothers oral history Manuel Mello's mother was,  DE LINO-LEAL, ISABEL M.
b. 1846.  Her father was Leal-Da Rosa, MANUAL (Manoel).  Manoels wife was DE LINO, ISAURA MARIA.  I have subsequently found that Leal-Da Rosa, MANUAL (Manoel) had a son Jacinto Leal-Da Rosa.  Who took the name of Jacinto "Jesse" Leal-Rose in this country.  Jacinto was born in 1855 and died in Hollister in 1917.  He seems to have come directly From the Azores to Misson San Jose in Alameda county.  What we have is a line compiled by my cousin Sharon Nunes Hopingardner in Hollister and myself.  It is documented in this country.  We do not have documentation for the ties from "MANUEL MELLO (Manuel Antonio d'Areia Mello)"  and Jacinto "Jesse" Leal-Rose  to Leal-Da Rosa, MANUAL (Manoel).  I was wondering if you might put me in touch with someone who may be of help.  All of this goes back to Piedade, Pico 1840-1855.

When I was about 13 we use to visit my cousin Sharon and her family.  She was Leal-Rose/Fontes/ Nunes then.  So there was a tie somewhere between Sacramento and Hollister.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Tooker
*