Hello Patricia Phillips,
My grandmother, Maria da Conceicao Avila born in Ribeiras, Pico in 1873 is from
the Machado Avila line from Ribeiras, Pico.
My great Uncle,Manuel Machado Avila, b. Feb 10, 1878 had 2 sons but I have no
names or birth dates, all from Ribeiras, Pico.
His one daughter, Maria Moniz Jorge was born in Ribeiras abt 1908. They
immigrated to Toronto, Canada. Maybe those sons island hopped?

My ggrandfather, Manuel Machado Avila b. July 1, 1790 in Ribeiras, Pico had 2
sons that I have birthdates on & no further information.
Antonio Machado Avila b. Jan 19, 1837 & Jose Machado Avila b. March 17, 1841.
Maybe, they island hopped too.

The ones that did immigrate changed their names just as yours did, Machado to
Avila & also Avilla.

Good luck in your search.....

Patricia
Las Vegas, NV