Just so the wrong impression isn't being made here....

I initially ordered a DNA test on my dad back in December of 2005.  The
only type of DNA tests available at that time were Y-DNA and mtDNA.  I did
Y-DNA 37 marker (the most markers at that time) on my dad for his
Portuguese line (he's half).  I got the results back in January of 2006.
Although he had a zillion 12 marker matches (more anthropological in
nature) and some 25 marker matches, he had none at the 37 marker level.
Not knowing how many thousands of families settled the Azores and how long
it will take to find a male descendant from each family to test, I knew
it'll take a while to make matches on this ONE line.  Yes, Y-DNA is only
the one line: my dad's father's father's father's line (top of my dad's
pedigree).

Autosomal DNA (Family Finder) was around in 2005/2006, but it's uses were
not well known or well refined.  It took the geneticists some time to work
it all out.  It finally became available for consumers to purchase in the
spring of 2010.  I sat on the fence and watched what happened with other
admins and DNA junkies first.  Then I ordered additional DNA testing on my
dad - Family Finder.

His results came in on February 16, 2011.  As I mentioned, my dad is half
Portuguese.  So it wasn't too hard to tell his American half from his
Portuguese half.  His "American" matches had surnames like Bolton, Damron,
Daugherty, and Smith.  His Portuguese matches had surnames like Mello,
Souza, Medeiros, Oliveira, etc.

Today is August 1, 2013.  About 2.5 years after I first ordered Family
Finder on my dad and the piece are really falling into place.  Yes, Shirley
Allegre and I figured out our connection on paper years ago.  So when she
tested her DNA, it made sense.  But what to do with those who were stuck in
the late 1800s or early 1900s and couldn't go back any further?  So as the
Family Finder portion of the Azores DNA project builds (now at 242 people
testing), it's really starting to come together.  Not only am I able to
piece together the outside of the jigsaw puzzle, but I'm filling in the
insides.  And I'm starting to pull in my dad's matches who are stuck in the
late 1800s or early 1900s!  These matches are going to have some lopsided
trees for awhile, but at least they are starting to get somewhere!

Achada