From: p...@dholmes.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Santo Amaro in the Azores
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 22:08:22 -0700

Hi Bill,
You're right. That Santo Amaro is in the parish (freguesia) of Ribeirinha.So
there are just the three Santo Amaro locations you've mentioned that I know
about in the Azores.There is also one in Sao Paulo, Brasil.
Wait, there is a fourth in the Azores. Conceicao, Horta, Faial has a Santo
Amaro.
But only two have the status of a parish, the ones on Pico and Sao Jorge.The
other two in Conceicao, Horta and Ribeirinha, Terceira are what we call a
"lugar" which is just a neighborhood. There can be a chapel there, but not the
parish church.
I happen to have many Santo Amaro, Pico ancestors. And I have done a ton of
research in the Santo Amaro village of Sao Jorge, since my late step-mother has
ancestors from there and many others have hired me to research families from
there. And now my brother is married to someone else with Santo Amaro, Sao
Jorge ancestors. For such a small village, they sure spread out when emigrating.

Hope that helps.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist