I have been away from the hunt lately but easing back into it.  Regarding
the above topic, I have a new lead or should I say mystery.  The Mary E.
Nichols (Possibly AKA Maria Esabella Rodrigues), maiden name Mary E.
Roderick, arrived on or about 1868 giving birth to Mary Agnes Silva in
Buffalo, NY.  The very next year, she gave birth to another child Joseph
Dyce, in Oakland, CA.  By 1880, she was married to Joseph Nichols according
to the 1880 Federal Census for Oakland, CA.  I know she remarried at least
once due to a family photo notating "Step Father" in regards to Joseph
Nicholas. However, I was thinking the first husband (Joseph Silva) could
have possibly changed his name to Dyce.  Just yesterday, I received the
death cert for the child born in CA(Joseph Dyce) and it lists Joseph DYCE,
b. Massachusetts as the father.  The daughter born in Buffalo, NY death
cert said her father was Joseph Silva born in the Azores.  I am so
confused.  Either she "got around", or I am missing something.  I
understand the death certs are only as good as the informants.  Anyway, the
hunt continues.  Joseph Dyce the son died May 30, 1915 at the San Leandro,
CA County Infirmary.  His occupation was a Marine Fireman.  I am not sure
if that means he was a firefighter for the docks or Marine as in military.

Another mystery find.  I found a newspaper clipping in the notice section
that read; "Dec 19, 1901 --Joseph Silva or Dyce, son of Mary Foote (Silva)
deed to Mary A Pereira or Perry and C F Pereira, All int N Park..."  Where
did Foote come in?  Mary E. Roderick (Silva,Nichols) died in Nov 1,1901.
So I assume this is transferring of the estate. In the 1900 federal census
she is listed as Mary E. Nichols.  I can tie everything together based on
the address.

In the end, I am no further along than I was in Feb.  As always, thank you
to this community for helping in many ways.

John Machado