Hi Cherri,

First of, just stating (again) I'm not the João Ventura you wrote about :)

The situation in the Azores may be similar to the one in mainland Portugal.
There, the records were all microfilmed and are being digitized by the LDS
church. However, due to the agreement between the Portuguese government and
the Utah Genealogical Society (I think they are now called FamilySearch
Inc.), the records can only be made available on FamilySearch to church
members. The general public has access to those records via the official
Portuguese goverment organization (CCA, DGLAB, ARM).

There are some exceptions to the above, as some archives weren't 'owned' by
the Government itself, but rather by other branches such as universities
(District of Braga archives) and city halls (Guimarães, Elvas). In these
cases, the records are available to everyone.

As you can understand it's also been very frustrating for us in Portugal
that the DGLAB people take forever to make available to the general public
what the LDS has made available to the church members for years. We also
fail to understand why the agreement dictated this restriction. Recently we
started a mail campaign that resulted in the current spurt of
lots-of-records-every-day that began in July 10, and since then has made
available over 5000 parish books online. I'm attaching the original letter.

>From my discussion recently at the Horta archive, they confirmed that all
these books from the CCA were microfilmed/digitized by the LDS church, and
that they are the ones providing all the images. The CCA then applies the
watermark and verifies that the images are accurate. So a little mail
campaign may also help in this case. I can adapt the attached letter so
that it addresses the CCA director instead if there's some interest, and
make it bi-lingual so that you guys can understand what you're signing.

Needless to say, paper still goes a lot further than e-mails in these
bureaucratic environments.

João Ventura