I got the records for my great-grandfather and got a wealth of information!
A 22 page packet arrived at my house and I got everything from bank
statements, neighbors witness accounts to make sure he wasn't a communist
supporter, and why his last name got changed. It was well worth the money!

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Kathy Cardoza <kmacard...@me.com> wrote:

> Eric and others .....
>
> I recently sent for an Alien Registration record from the USCIS and had a
> very good experience with them.  I requested an index search online on
> April 21. I received the results of the search on April 26, via snail mail.
> Then, I received the AR form in the mail, less than a month from the start
> of the whole process! It cost me $20 for the search and $20 for the form.
> I'm glad I requested it. This is the site of the web form:
> https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov
>
> Kathy
> Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~azrwgw/index.html
>
> Climb my Family Tree:
> http://www.kathys-place.com/index.html
>

> On Aug 15, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry Eric, I don't know why you would think that requesting information
> on an ancestor's naturalization would be a waste of time.  I got the
> information that I posted from Marion Smith, who works in the historical or
> genealogy division of the USCIS.  Mel Lassalle and I have been in contact
> with her for years. She is also lectures on the naturalization (and Alien
> registration) process.  She is east coast based, so most people see her
> there.
>
> I know Kathy Cardoza had a recent experience with the USCIS.  I would
> guess about 6 months ago.  The turn around time was quite fast, if I
> remember correctly.
>
> Too bad yours was negative.  But I would not tell anyone who is
> researching an immigrant ancestor to not bother with the naturalization
> packet.  For many, it is the only place that the immigrant ancestor gave
> information - and from their own mouth!  Which port, which ship, date,
> birth place, relatives, marriage info, children, parents...however the
> information on the forms changed over time.  People researching an
> immigrant ancestor needs to pursue every avenue possible to find the
> freguesia (village) over there!
>

> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
> Tainhas, Achada
>

>  --

Cheryl Lawrence  508-951-2657