Opt out / opt in...I have a tendency to use those interchangeably (which
they are not), so let me say SETTING.

On your DNA page (or the kit(s) that you manage), point at My Account and
after the drop down appears, click on Personal Profile Settings.

You can add a photo and type information in the About Me box.  I'm on my
dad's page and since I do his DNA, I've typed this: <<My daughter, Cheri,
handles my genealogy and DNA.  From Cheri:  My dad is half Portuguese.  His
paternal grandparents were the immigrants to America.  His maternal half is
English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, German and a couple of other things... >>
I have a picture of my dad there too.

The SETTING options:  I don't know what default was since I'm looking at my
dad's page.  FTDNA likes to err on the side of caution, so if they put the
Population Finder bar back, it will be turned OFF here until you turn it
on.  I have my dad's options as:
Show Ancestral Surnames: Yes
Show My Projects: Yes
Show My Phone Number: No (I'll give it out when they email me)
Show My Most Distant Ancestors: Yes
Show My Location (City, State ZIP): Yes
Show My Last Log In: Yes

And if I've got you reading this email and you are on your personal FTDNA
page, look at the tabs above and click on the Beneficiary Information tab.
You can type in anything you want there.  My dad's says:
Name: Cheri Mello or any FTDNA Admin
Phone: My cell is there
Email: My email is there.

I figure if anything happens to me and there are new discoveries in DNA 50
years from now and someone wants to pay on my dad's DNA for the latest and
greatest, they have permission to do so.

The Beneficiary Information tab was a suggestion from someone on this
list.  He sent me a personal email about what to do with his DNA and I sent
it to FTDNA saying we all needed something like that.  And now we have the
beneficiary tab.  So FTDNA does listen.

Achada