Hi José,

Yes, and no.

They still keep records in churches nowadays. The difference is that before
1911 the only records were the church records. After that the Civil
Registry started working, and the official certificates are the 'birth
certificate' and not the 'baptism record'.

In order for the Civil Registry to work however, a law was passed that all
the church records before 1911 had to be transferred to the Civil Registry.
The priests then started new records that you may still be able to find in
the churches or in the Archive of the local Diocese.

João C. Ventura