From: "ttcost...@aol.com" <ttcost...@aol.com>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 6, 2013 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] European Portuguese?

Anthony,

I try to pull everything I can together:

1.  RTPi - I watch mostly after my family goes to bed.
2.  A Live class (was in Brazilian, but I learned of a textbook, Ponto de
Encontro, which indicates differences in European and Brasilian and reads like
a traditional language textbook, from greetings to conjugations).
3.  The book called "Essential Portuguese Grammar", by Alexander da R. Prista
4.  A English-Portuguese Dictionary (I have Collins) They usually differentiate
Idioma.
5.  Diccionario da Lingua Portugues (I have Priberam on my tablet, which is
published in Portugal)
6.  Irregular Verbs book (also on tablet)
7.  The Living Language Portuguese Course, Dictionary (very small) and CD's.
Pimsleur looks good.
8.  I try to visit our 1 Portuguese grocery store whenever possible.  If I
could stand the cold, I'd go to Providence or Bristol Co.  Interactive practice
is of utmost importance.  I thought I knew how to speak, until I had to explain
every thought in Portuguese to another person.
9.  I also used to translate news articles (using the aforementioned
sourcebooks).

Obviously, I am "all in", but I still don't think I know enough.  I need more
practice.
I hope this helps and was not too confusing.  The "CD courses"/Pimsleur/Living
Language are a good start, but to get deeper, we need to pull from everywhere
we can, since we're not immersed.

Take care.

-Trevor