Joao C. Ventura said:
<<They're not inconsistent. The problem is yours, actually: you're
confusing the church parish with the freguesia civil (translated roughly as
civil parish). The CCA site uses the official name of the freguesia.. Which
in most cases, as they were created in 1911 as one-to-one mapping of the
church parishes, used the same name of the catholic parish.. In some cases
not, as in this Matriz / São Sebastião case.>>

OK, let me try to straighten myself out.  If I'm not doing this right, then
feel free to straighten me out!  :)  They are calling some of these places
"Matriz."

Santa Maria island (only 1):
Vila do Porto
The Matriz is Nossa Senhora da Assuncao in Vila do Porto.
CCA not up yet.

Sao Miguel island (6 Matriz')
Lagoa
The Matriz is Santa Cruz in Lagoa.
The CCA listing says Matriz de Santa Cruz
Nordeste
The Matriz is Sao Jorge in Nordeste
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz
Ponta Delgada
The Matriz is Sao Sebastiao in Ponta Delgada
The CCA listing says Matriz de Sao Sebastiao
Povoacao
The Matriz is Nossa Senhora Mae de Deus in Povoacao
The CCA listing says Matriz de Mae de Deus
Ribeira Grande
The Matriz is Nossa Senhora da Estrela in Ribeira Grande
CCA not up yet.
Vila Franca do Campo
The Matriz is Sao Miguel Arcanjo in Vila Franca do Campo
CCA not up yet.

Terceira island (2 Matriz')
Angra do Heroismo
Santa Se do Salvador or Sao Salvador which is really the Diocese seat in
Angra do Heroismo.  So I guess technically there is no Matriz here.
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz or a Diocese or a cathedral.

Praia da Vitoria
The Matriz is Santa Cruz in Praia da Vitoria
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz

Graciosa island (only 1)
The Matriz is Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz
CCA not up yet

Sao Jorge island (2 Matriz')
Calheta
The Matriz Santa Catarina in Calheta.
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz

Velas
The Matriz is Sao Jorge in Velas
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz

Faial island (1 Matriz)
The Matriz is Sao Salvador in Horta
The CCA listing says Matriz da Horta

Pico island (3 Matriz')
Lajes (do Pico)
The Matriz is Santissima Trindade in Lajes
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz
Madalena
The Matriz is Santa Maria Madalena in Madalena
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz
Sao Roque
The Matriz is Sao Roque in Sao Roque
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz

Flores island (2 Matriz')
Lajes (do Flores)
The Matriz is Nossa Senhora do Rosario in Lajes
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz
Santa Cruz (das Flores)
The Matriz is Nossa Senhora da Conceicao in Santa Cruz
The CCA listing says nothing about a Matriz

Corvo island
There's only 1 church there.  Nossa Senhora dos Milagres in Vila Nova.  I
don't think it holds Matriz status. The CCA says nothing about it either.

OK, so why does the CCA list Lagoa, Ponta Delgada, Povoacao, and Faial
under "M" for Matriz but then lists Nordeste (Sao Jorge), Angra (Sao
Salvador), Praia (Santa Cruz), Calheta (Santa Catarina), Velas (Sao Jorge),
Lajes do Pico (Santissima Trindade), Santa Maria Madalena, Sao Roque (both
on Pico), and N.S. do Rosario and N.S. da Conceicao (both on Flores) under
the names instead of Matriz?

OK, where am I confused? Straighten me out here :)  To me, it looks like
the CCA is confused.  Well, I know that they are not.  This project had
been under different directors so the uploading of the records may have
changed with the directors.  If most concelhos have a Matriz, why aren't
they putting those as Matriz de _____ on all the concelhos that have an
official Matriz?  Or putting the name (whether civil or ecclesiastical -
but I think they use civil). Technically, isn't "Matriz" an ecclesiastical
thing?
Thanks!
Achada