 From: Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com>
To: Azores Genealogy <Azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:59 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Paleography and Handwriting

Many times we lament at how hard it is to read the Portuguese handwriting.
It's not that it's in Portuguese.  It's the script of the time period.

I was watching TV today, and something came up on George Washington.  I did a
quick Internet search to find out more.  Then I tripped across his signature.

(Click on the ones that say Real):
http://goo.gl/O9u14H

George is abbreviated and that other stuff says Washington??  Wow!  And English
is my native language!

Thomas Jefferson's is a bit better, but I swear I'm reading "t"s in there:
http://goo.gl/1xAfA1

Look at the signers of the Declaration of Independence.  Scroll down to the
bottom:  http://goo.gl/FVKWTd

Look at column 2, 5th line down.  Jas. Smith and who?  I know who.  But if I
didn't study any abbreviations or any paleography and English was not my native
language, I'd be naming the guy Gro Rofs.

Achada