Just a thought,
  If he was serving on a Ship regardless of destination there would be a
manifest, now if he was lost at sea on a local fishing boat, depending on
 what they were fishing for his death would possibly be reported by
survivors. !890's I believe the Whaling trade was still quite active,one of
the methods was to site the whales from shore then go after them in "small
boats". I believe they used more than one of these when hunting the Whale (
quite dangerous ). So it could of been a whaling accident,still possible
the death was reported. Maybe João Ventura can add to the customs of the
local Whalers.