From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Dano
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:40 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Marriage record for Ana Bernarda & Estalano Nunes
Teixeira AND Baptism record for Ana's son, Daniel

As you mention, each of these records are clearly written.

On the baptism, Daniel "was baptized," and, as is the case in this matter, the
father is not mentioned - nor would he be mentioned, unless he comes forward
and declares that he is the child's father. There is a separate administrative
statement, added - "after the fact," to the original baptismal record (usually
in the left margin), and a document known as a "Legitimacao" (Legitimation) is
written into a ledger, or section of a ledger, established for that purpose.

As for the marriage record, the marriage of Ana Bernarda and Estelano, occured
seven years later. It makes no mention of Daniel. If Estalano was the father we
will never know - and declares such. Apart from that, Estelano could "adopt"
Daniel if he chooses to, and it can be recorded by the church as a separate
record known as a "perfiliacao," (adoption), again, normally recorded in a
section of its own in the Ledger. That pretty much covers your questions, if
I've left anything out or misstated something, I'm sure that someone will point
that out.