Bill B,

You've got a typo.  Try searching for "Espirito Santo."  Vowels must agree
on the ends in Portuguese.

Espirito Santo is the Holy Spirit festa which is on Pentecost Sunday.  Yes,
it's 7 weeks after Easter.  So in 2014, it is on Sunday, June 8.

I don't know how it works there, but I can tell you how Espirito Santo
works around my area of southern CA.  We all want to go to each other's
Espirito Santos.  The San Diego hall follows the liturgical calendar, so
their E.S. will be on Sunday, June 8th.  In Paramount, they have it the
last weekend of June.  Unless there's a big World Cup game.  Then they move
it (it'll be June 15th this year). In Artesia, it is the last weekend of
July.  Chino has it in August.

I've been told that there's a festa every weekend during the summer months
in the Azores.  That's not helpful to you though.

Try googling "festa azores" or "festa espirito santo azores" (without
quotes) and see what comes up.  The 2nd one brought up a Facebook page for
me.

As to which island, well, that's kind of a loaded question!  Since I have
lots of research to do, I would prefer Sao Miguel.  It's also the largest
of the islands and has a lot to do as well. Beaches, golf course, the
ilheu, the big staircase in Vila Franca with the stations of the Cross (??
I can't remember what it's call off the top of my head - Ermida da Paz??),
Furnas with the steamed dinner.  However, Terceira has the dispensations in
their archive.  They also have a bull arena and more of the Tourada a Corda
events (although I was told that Tourada a Corda is spreading to other
islands).  There's a big, beautiful garden (in Angra, I think) and the
Diocese seat is there.  And there's a cave in the middle of the island that
is open to the public.

Those are the only 2 islands I've been to, so I can't speak to the others.

Ed Melo is a travel agent in Massachusetts or Rhode Island. He was on the
list.  If he doesn't see this post and answer you, I will hunt down his
email addy for you.

Achada