Sent from Windows Mail

From: Ricardo Chaves
Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎5‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎49‎ ‎AM
To: Azores Group

Hi Chery,

I remember in the old days, my grandparents showing us grandchildren a "weird
face" if we forgot to ask them for their blessing. We don't hear it so often
today, but is still common in some more rural places. It was also a sign of
respect!

In some kind of "slang" one of the most common expressions was "Vó Bença" which
was a request, correctly written as "Avó a sua Benção" and the reply would be,
from the grandparent, "Deus de Abençoe". Was used also with parents, and
uncles, etc. Specially in those families who took religion more serious.

In English, "Please you blessing" and "God bless you"

There are many variants of this tradition, depending on the Island maybe, or
even village and age of generations, this is the one I was raised with.