I agree that the interpretation is far too strict. For what we copy and for our
use in genealogy, most should not have issues.

Having said this, we could run afoul depending on how the material is used and
its impact on the copyright owner's ability to make money from their work. An
example might be copying a several key pages of a book and posting to
Ancestry.com where ancestry "sells" access to the pages through their pay wall.
While the original use for scholarly work may fit the fair use doctrine (
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
),
the fact that Ancestry is profiting might be an issue. Number of pages or
amount is not always a measure used.

Also keep in mind that the "container" of the information makes a difference.
Taking names and dates is factual information and, depending on circumstances,
should not have a copyright issue. Copying book images has a much higher
potential to run afoul of copyright law than using the raw information.

Here is another great article on copyright in today's Wall Street Journal.
Sorry, Writers, but I'm Siding With Google's Robots http://on.wsj.com/1ebhRHI

Bill