Isabella,

Would it be better to buy the archival paper here and mail it or what?

Rosemarie

From: Isabella Baltar
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:27 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Interesting purple stuff on the pages

I went to Terceira for two reasons, one to do research on my family and the
second one, where I spent most of my time, was to help the BPARAH on the
conservation of their archives and library.

Unfortunately, only one room of the library has humidity control (for the rare
docs and books) otherwise all the windows are open. The worst on this
situation, besides the lack of money, is that, believe me, there is no acid
free paper on the market in Portugal. Such a basic thing here in US, where you
find everywhere. So, it took me and Marcolino Candeias, the director of BPARAH,
a lot of time trying to find a source of acid free paper and conservation
material in Portugal and we didn't find, we even talked with Torre do Tombo
conservators. The only solution is: everything must be imported and the
burocracy instead of helping just makes things worst. It is very sad.

Next time I go to Terceira, maybe later this year, I will take with me
conservation material for them to use. A donation for BPARAH and I hope to get
people to help me on that.

Isabella Baltar
myportuguesegen.blogspot.com