It was usually women showing their devotion to the Virgin Mary.  With so
many women named Maria, these religious names helped distinguish them from
one another.  It seems everyone wanted to show religious devotion.  These
weren't necessarily surnames in the modern sense, but just how the women
were known during those times.  In some cases, these became de-facto
surnames found in modern families of Portuguese descent.  I believe that
their parents chose the name most of the time, but I've also found some
women would change their name over the course of their life so that it
wasn't just Maria da Conceição, but sometimes also Maria de Jesus in other
records.