Thanks for the correction.  I just know that this happened to my grandfather,
his brother and uncle.  Looking for work, they decided to hang around the dock
to see if there was any day work.  They helped unload a ship's cargo and the
Captain was so pleased with their work he asked them to come to Santa Maria to
help unload and load the ship then he would bring them back again on Terceira
to unload and load the ship there.  Eager for work they quickly agreed.  Once
they arrived at Santa Maria they found out that the ship was being redirected
to New York then back to Santa Maria then Terceira.  The Captain said they
could stay in Santa Maria and he would pick them up on his way back or they
could come with him to New York.  Once again thankful for the work they eagerly
agreed and with the ship.  Once in New York the dock workers were on strike so
they were unable to unload the cargo. So there they were stuck in the harbor on
a ship without any work to do.  Their uncle suggested instead of sitting on the
ship that they go to Hanford, California.  They jumped ship and caught  a
freight train. A week later they were in Hanford.  A man came by looking for
sheep herders and offered them work...they said yes.  So with this family story
I can see that cargo ships did stop by various islands and people working on
these ships may have ended up on a different island in need of a ride home.
This is what gave me the idea. Once again that you for correcting the record. D