Re Holmes and Homem. My uncle, from Teceira, Jacinto Leal daRocha Homem,
was the first to immigrate to the US. He served with US forces in World War
I, and was active in the American Legion, being Commander of the Oakland
chapter..  It was he who changed the name to Holmes, and when the rest of
the family came over, including my father Manuel, they all changed to
Holmes.  Why Holmes I don't know. Why not Man, which is what Homem
translates to. The name change was quite gradual. As noted in my  book,
"Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area,"  the Sacramento City
Directory for 1908 lists Jacinto R. Homem. The 1909 directory lists Jesse
R. Homem. The 1911 directory lists Jesse R. Holmes.

Lionel Rocha Holmes