Dianne,
When you are in Santa Cruz, Flores, be sure to stop in at the Flores Museum
which is located in the old "Convento da Boaventura". The former director
Joao Antonio Gomes Vieira still spends a lot of time there (his son Luis is
now the director) and may be related to you or at least probably can hook
you up with relatives. Contact me directly if you like and I can probably
give you some more leads but it will take me a little time.
John Vasconcelos gfsjohnv at gmail dot com