Good morning group,

first my apologies to Eliseu for not being able explain myself the right
way, we have talked off list. Eliseu, I went to your website and typed in
your "query box" *de Sousa* (with space between the prefix and the surname)
and it worked. Now, if I type *deSousa* there's no results. I think
everything else has been already explained. Eliseu, I know its possible,
webdesign is not my strongest, I'm more into networking and hardware, but
maybe João Ventura can tell you that, there might be a way to add to the
database some kind of link between, example ALL the de Sousa with the
DeSousa, etc. then when someone query's for DeSousa, the server will
consider all the de Sousa and show them in the results and I would advice
some kind of introductory note for those who actually don't really know
that their surname was originally de Sousa, and all other possible
"conversions" Just an idea!

I am curious, in fact, have always been, why Portuguese descendents in US
adopt using, or should I say, "converting" their family name, if not
already been by their ancestors, from example "de Sousa" do "DeSousa"? Is
it because of what Angela wrote or is there any other law? Another thing is
that some family's are the only ones one can "blame" for their 2nd or 3rd
so on, generations don't have a clue what their origins are, do not know a
single word in Portuguese, don't have a clue what Azores are or where are
at! I have a few dozen cousins over there, they ALL know where Azores are,
on the other hand, I have discovered relatives of 3rd and 4th generations
older than me, in the US who didn't now much or nothing about their
origins, among many things, I thing life itself is a cause and only when
they get older they start wondering. Yes Angela, like I said, as long one
know why and how, they will eventually track down the original form of the
name.

Doug, now that is quite curious, and the first time I hear it!! So US
considers a prefix as a NAME? I know of course, interpretation of a
Portuguese word, in this case a prefix (Artigo Defenido "DO" "DA") and
(Preposição "DE") in the US has nothing to do with the one here, but I
congratulate you with your effort of trying to maintain the origins with
your sons names. As I wrote earlier, removing the "DA" was probably like
changing a name in US. But in the ID card is still there. Do not consider
this a lack of respect for the origins, its just more convenient to sign
your name with out it, but the signature will always be associated to the
complete name with the "DA" in it. Now my son got the his mother last name
and mine after birth name with no "DO" OR DA" but he will always be an
Andrade Chaves.

Now, here is my opinion about Portuguese, in our case, Azorean descendents
not knowing the right words in Portuguese, like Dano says, San Miguel, etc.
Have you all had a close look at a for example a Passenger list from
1800's? Its not their fault, if in 1800's São Miguel was written down as
Saint Michael Island when they arrived, who's fault is it? Where is Saint
Mary? Try query internet from those and many more names and see the
results! Now imagine some 60 years old lady that finds some old papers of
her grandmother saying her great grand mother was from Saint Mary and this
lady never heard about Azores and doesn't know much about Azores Google
Groups, etc and ends up in India!! Its their parents fault in my opinion,
Grandparents, etc, who have not been able to transmit their culture to
their descendents, etc.

I know some of you are older than me and I know some of you were not this
case, but there are many still living in ignorance bit not because they
want, but because they were lead to! And perfectly understand, even being
younger than many of you, why you get so angry when they make these kind of
mistakes and not being able to even spell the names right, its because we
treasure our roots, but remember, some emigrants left Azores in search of a
better life ans some went through so much they didn't even want to remember
where Azores was, and with it, their history and culture was forgotten!

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Dano <dpai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, Cheri, they probably don't mean it, but, what kind of research will
> they turn out if they can't even get the names of the islands straight???
> You know I'm on the east coast, only been to CA once in my life, but, even
> I know that San Miguel is in the Channel Islands - all it takes is a short
> walk to where the encyclopedia is kept, you don't even need own it, to use
> it... All I'm saying is that I can feel Eliseu's frustration when
> people complain that none of the surnames on his website start with DE, or,
> DA ...
>
> On Monday, March 31, 2014 10:24:32 PM UTC-4, Cheri Mello wrote:
>
>> The only San Miguel island that exists (that I could find on the
>> Internet) is part of the Channel Islands of the coast of California.  Wrong
>> archipelago, wrong country, wrong ocean.  And I know most people don't mean
>> that!
>>
>> --
>> Cheri Mello
>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
>> Tainhas, Achada
>>
>  --

Ricardo Chaves