Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: first degree of consanguinity
From: Herb <herbandj...@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, April 05, 2014 7:40 pm
To: azores@googlegroups.com

I have never seen a first degree but I have seen lots of 4th, 3rd and second. Need to keep a few things in mind though. During the 18th and 19th centuries in Europe about 40% of marriages were among cousins. During someone's lifetime they might have travelled 20-30 miles from their home so they didn't know a lot of people to marry. Marrying cousins was a way to keep lands and other property in the family name and also seen as a way to keep blood lines pure. There is even an old Portuguese folk song about marrying cousins. I will ask my 85 year old mother and post it here. Herb

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---