Mary K,

There's a request form that you fill out at the archive for the library
pages to retrieve the books.  Pretty similar to our requests at our public
libraries where they have to go and retrieve something that is not on the
floor.  You just fill out the slip and wait.  But now, with so much being
online, they will probably sit you down at the computers and have you
look.  I know when I traveled with Shirley, we really wanted a particular
book.  We requested it, sat down, and the librarian/page came out with the
microfilm.  We needed the book.  We couldn't read it on film (it had the
wash/solution on it which makes it come out as black on the film).  The
aide started explaining something beyond my level of Portuguese and I
asked, "Livro mal?"  (bad book) and she said yes.  Shirley pulled out a
copy of the microfilm and showed her the black zone.  The aide disappeared
and came back with the book, it real, real delicate condition, open to that
page.  Shirley turned over her microfilm copy and wrote the info on the
back.  We didn't close the book even.  It was really falling apart.  We
took it back to the counter and gently set it down for them.

They will give you a certified copy if the record is before 1910 or so.  I
don't know their current fees.  Maybe along the lines of 10 euros.

Others have gone much more recently than I have.
Cheri

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Mary MK <marymken...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for tips for visiting the arquivo in Ponta Delgada. I'll be
> there next month and want to spend at least a day doing research. Will I
> need a Cartão de Leitor? What is the best way to get help looking for
> baptisms, etc. I speak some Portuguese (Brazilian), which helps with
> reading at least.
>
> I want to get a certified copy of my father's baptism, if possible. It
> that difficult? He was born in Ponta Garça, and I have a copy of the
> microfilm record.
>
> I appreciate any tips or cautionary tales. Thanks!
>
> Mary Kent
>

>  --

Achada