Cheri--I'm not seeing a way to follow up on my own post, so I'll reply to
yours and hope others take note. I spoke with a representative of the San
Diego Children's Home, which is still in existence and still has archived
records going back to the 19th century. Apparently, they took in several
(She said "many" but had no numbers when I asked.) children of immigrants
from the Azores. Others might like to know.