From: gfsche...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:59:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Bizarre...but is it true?
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Liliana,

Yes, the remains are dug up and put into a crypt (I think the correct word is
ossuary). The grave is then reused.  It has nothing to do with being Catholic.
There is not enough room for all those bodies that have populated the islands
since the 1400s.  It's a necessity.

The only way the body remains is if the family pays a fee to keep the body
longer.

No, you won't find headstones.

Achada