Yes it's true. I have lived and travelled to dozens of countries and this
practice is  common all over the world. There isn't enough room for all the
bodies. My grandfather died in Terceira and was buried there in 1940, aged 40.
When I lived in Terceira I went to the cemeteries to search for his headstone
or some information on him and found out his bones had been removed 7 years
after the burial. In Terceira it was 7 years I don't know about the other
islands. In Guam I think it was 11 years after burial when I lived there. When
I lived in the UK they leased plots for a period of 25 50 or 99 years. It's the
same in Australia. Paris and Rome have famous ossuaries and catacombs